If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will find my "Friends and Heroes" section. It offers readers a chance to discover the vibrant, active, creative community I am lucky to know and see in action.
Here are some recent highlights:
- 2014 World Cup: The Straw that Broke the Canary's Back – My sister, Flora's on-the-ground report following Brazil's 7-1 loss against Germany in the World Cup.
- Shakespeare's "As You Like It" by New York Classical Theater – Amazing theatrical reportage by the phenomenally prolific artist, Julia Sverchuk.
- #TGIF: Laundry king – From Kati Nawrocki's excellent blog, Big City Tales.
- Investment Advisor – Greg Betza's wonderful illustrations for an Investment Advisor article about suicide among retired men.
- Just For Me #2 – Wonderful, personal, self-commissioned work. The second of two illustrations that Ray Bonilla painted for short stories by author Michael Yachnik.
- Fast or slow? Two beautiful images of migrating wildebeest illustrate photographer Mario Dávalos' explanation about how different shutter speeds shift our understanding of an image.
- The yards a-cockbill – Despina Georgiadis-Betza's wonderful painting of the Charles W. Morgan, the last wooden whale ship in the world.
- Sunset Series III – Audrey Hawkins' sensitive watercolors of sunsets.
- Sapa Vietnam – April Kelly's amazing collection of drawings from Vietnam.
- More from Maui - something for everyone – Jennifer Kiamzon's beautiful drawings after traveling in Hawaii.
- The Boston Common Frog Pond & Carousel – Carly Larsson's wonderful collection from Boston Common.
- My World, My Universe – Eddie Peña shows the shape, the thinking and the process behind an action sequence.
- Yarn Concert Drawings – William D. Martin's concert drawings.
- Choral Singing in Zagreb – Nathaniel Miller's reportage of choral singing in Zagreb, Croatia.
- And of course, Charles W. Morgan 38th Voyagers, Veronica Lawlor and Evan Turk share their reportage from their historic journey.